10.27.2005

Who cut the cheese?

After reviewing my last few posts, I see that my blog has taken a rather melancholy tone as of late. With this post, I hope to correct this downward trend.

Yesterday the European Union courts came down of the side of all that is good, right, and just. Headlines on the Internet, in newspapers, and through broadcast outlets around the world heralded the court's decision.

EU Backs Greece in Feta Fight

Imposter cheese manufacturers from countries such as Germany and Denmark tried to steal the name "feta" for their own version of the salty white cheese. But through the EU ruling, Greece won the exclusive right to the name Feta. It's a Greek word, after all. No other country should have the right to use it.

Besides, who has ever heard of German feta? Have you ever seen Bavarians running around during Oktoberfest with a stien of beer in one hand and feta in another?

It goes against nature, I tell you.

The Swiss have there own cheese. And here in the good old US-of-A, we make grilled cheese sandwiches with nothing other than American cheese. Greek cheese is FETA. There is no substitute.

Being exactly 1/4 Greek, I take my Feta very seriously. There hardly is a day that goes by where I don't enjoy a bowl of Kalamata (Greek olives) and a side of Feta. I know I might as well be pouring salt down my throat with this diet, but I can't deny myself these favorite Greek staples.

As Greeks, we've had very little to cheer about lately (aside from the Eurocup victory last year). Sure, Greece was the cradle of civilization, philosophy, mathematics, and democracy, but things have sort of been going down hill ever since Aristotle. Even Paris Hilton broke up with her rick Greek boyfriend recently. What can I say? It's been a tough year.

Fortunately for Greeks, we are a feisty people and are not about to allow bigger nations to steal our cheese. Go pick on a country your own size! Next thing you know, they'll be after Ouzo.

8 comments:

KOM said...

And Paris is a greek name. Truly a sad moment in history for these people.

Speaking of cheese, I didn't realize anyone ate american cheese. I thought it was window dressing at the grocery store. Next you'll be telling me people use velveeta. If I need yellow, I use colby or cheddar. I think those are english... so Wisconsin had better not join the EU.

utenzi said...

I didn't realize that Paris was a Greek name. I guess just because of Homer's version of the Trojan War with the perpetrator, Paris, being a prince of Troy, I assumed it was a Trojan name. It just goes to show...

I love Feta cheese but really don't care what country it comes from as long as it tastes good. On the other hand, I can do quite well without goat milk. My favorite Greek food is kataefi (spellings vary on that since the Greek alphabet is different than ours). It's a very sweet confection similar to baklava but sweeter!

When I was in Greece, years back, you could find it in most tavernas as a treat for young children to keep them quiet while the adults drank expresso.

KOM said...

Greek... Anatolian... whatever ;)

SassyAssy said...

Guess we all have our fetishes about feta.

Mad Munkey said...

Mmmm... Kalamata. Yum.

Xavierism said...

Cheese, crackers, and a nice wine sounds fabulous right about now!!!!

Hope you're loving the moments!

Muah*********************

Anonymous said...

Hey you! Paris is going out with Stavros Niarchos isn't she? He's Greek.

Great news about the whole feta issue. No more Bulgarian feta being passed off as the real thing.

As a fellow Greek girl there is nothing to be down about. Greece was a hot destination this past summer, full of sexy and cool people. I can't wait to go back and have fun there again! Everybody else can only wish they had our heritage. :) Great blog!

Diane Mandy said...

Wow! I didn't realize there were so many Greeks and Feta lovers out in Blogland! Can we figure out a way to break a few dishes virtually?