3.27.2006

Attack of the Hairballs

I've faced the harsh reality of cat ownership not once but twice in the last week. Katie, a lovely, longhair tuxedo kitty, has been coughing up hairballs. Eww!!! As if this wasn't bad enough, Katie found the choicest of locations to deposit her hairballs.

A few days ago, I came home and discovered the first hairball on my bed, more specifically on my $900 sheets. You may be laughing now, but I literally thought I would pass out and die with the discovery. Fortunately, the hairball came up easily and the sheets, though precious to me, are washable.

After having a few days to come to terms with one hairball, I was dismayed to discover a second nicely hidden on my expensive, black oriental rug. Just as I did with my first hairball I took a moment to compose myself. Then, I phoned my sister because she is Katie's previous owner.

"I don't know if I can do this." I said without so much as a greeting
"What happened?" Christina asked.
"It's another hairball--at least I think it's a hairball--this time on the dining room rug." I said obviously exacerbated with the situation.
"I'm sure it's just a hairball," Christina said reassuringly. "Have you tried rubbing Vaseline on Katie's lips to prevent them? Those little tablets just don't work."
"Vaseline on her lips? Are you serious?" I started to get upset again.
"Look, I told you we would take her back if need be after the house sells," Christina offered though obviously disappointed.

I'm not sure what to do. I took Katie conditionally because my sister, a mother of two young girls, is stressed out with trying to sell her home at the moment. But, I also know my brother-in-law does not want Katie in their new home. I was just trying to keep peace in their household with this adoption.

But, here is the point. I have a new home, too. Christina works from home and has more time to devote to things such as hairballs and placing Vaseline on Katie's lips. I, on the other hand, I start back to school this summer and have both a full and part-time job.

What do you think? Do I return Katie to my sister? She's hacking again and I sense I'll find another hairball in my future. Also, do you more experienced cat owners have any tricks for preventing hairballs?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Diane.. what kind of food are you giving her... My cats eat the Purina Cat Chow, which is especally formulated for indoor cats and it controls hairballs... also, I brush my cats constantly, this helps a lot, I cannot say that I do not have an occassional "present" from them.. but the cat food and the brushing has help tremendously. Also Ians has a cat food formulated specially for hairball control and it very good, though a bit expensive... if you need anything else drop me a line...

zerodoll said...

My kitties get Science Diet Hairball Formula (Light, 'casue they're chubby.) Supposed to reduce shedding and help if they do. There's also Petromalt, which some cats love; mine won't go near it. Don't give up on her!

Tiffany Fairbanks said...

Ewww! The only other thing I can say is that at least it's not a male that goes spraying on your stuff. I always love the chance to hear about your sheets though. You are the only person I "know" that has spent so much on sheets. I love that. What about the hair? YOurs that is.

AMS said...

I think the sheets are going to win out here!

Junie B said...

definitely invest in the food that helps prevent the hairball/upset stomach thing.

also, twice a week put a bit of Vaseline on the nose of the kitty.. they will lick it off inevitably but you WANT them to. This will help them no longer be a "hacker"

utenzi said...

Vaseline on her lips???! That sounds more like something you'd read in a nasty novel, Diane. Maybe your sister is having a break from reality with that one.

Cats are evil. Bye, Katie. (btw, who names their cat Katie??)

Junie B said...

on the NOSE! on the NOSE!! Thats where u put the dab of Vaseline! :)