3.14.2007

Time to dish, Mon

Max and I have decided to throw a Caribbean-themed celebration on July 14, 2007 the day before we honeymoon on a Caribbean cruise. I’m excited about throwing a party for our friends, although we’d rather have them all sailing to the Caribbean with us. But since this wouldn’t be feasible, our goal is to bring a touch of the Caribbean to them.

Friends will learn of the party, not from wedding invitations, but through messages in a bottle which might read something like this, "A tropical paradise is the setting, for a romantic getaway after our wedding. Please join Diane and Max for a wedding celebration."

The Caribbean restaurant, a casual place, will be perfect for our friends to come in their best beach or resort wear. We meet with the restaurant manager tonight to finalize a food and drink selection that will fit our island theme. I also hope to hire a steel pan drummer to entertain upwards of 60 guests.

I think that, instead of a flower girl, we’re going to have two children (dressed in tropical shirts and khaki shorts) greet our friends with shell leys.

Understand that Max and I have both been married before. I had two big church weddings, and he had a traditional Muslim ceremony. While respecting the wedding traditions of our forefathers, we realized, in retrospect, that it’s really what happens after the ceremony that matters. As we continue to plan the party, our goal is to enjoy the moment and share our excitement with people who have mattered most to us.

I suppose one of the only real wedding tradition we do plan to offer is cake. But our choice—sort of Dr. Seuss meets Hawaiian Tropic—isn’t anything you’d see in Martha Stewart. I offer this picture to show the concept to you, but keep in mind ours will be decorated differently and topped with palm trees.

That’s most of what we’ve decided so far. And although we are still talking about other details (flowers, what we’ll wear, etc), Max thought it would be fine if I shared current ideas with all of you. Feel free to offer any suggestions as we are still very open to ideas.

Notice that I didn’t mention the hows and wheres of the actually wedding ceremony… that, my friends, is still up in the air and somewhat dependent on how my folks reacts to the news of our engagement.

More on that later…

10 comments:

Jamy said...

It sounds wonderful! I always thought the party was more important than the ceremony--and I love the spirit of this party. Wish I could be there. :)

zerodoll said...

i love love love the cake, can't wait to see pictures of YOUR version.

and yes, it defintely is more important what happens in the marriage than how the wedding is.

Just a trumpet player said...

Looks like you've found quite a recipe for an good party !!

I'm also with you with the big, pouffy weddings ; the people involved and their mutual feelings should matter more than tradition and what-nots. I'm going for a "Surprise ! It's a wedding !" kind of party next time. Perfect way to skip the anoying "friend of of friend of your cousin" type of people and making room for the people that matter the most.

Keep us posted !!

kenju said...

It's a great theme for a party, and easily decorated. You'll have a red hibiscus behind your ear, no?

Unknown said...

OMG... I want cake because you know that its ALL about the CAKE! I'm so very happy for your and Max, so many adventures await you guys and I'm so happy that I been there to see it born, taking those baby steps and now being all grown up ready to take on the world together.. you guys rock! I know it will be a great celebration...

Randi said...

Love your Wedding Plans, Diane! I am totally on the same page as you when it comes to Big Silly Weddings. You and Your Friends will have A Fabulous Time and that is what it should be all about, right?

xoxo,
TDR

Suvii said...

The details sound unique, fabulous and fun! Glad to hear you are making the day all about you, your friends and what's important to YOU!!! I can't wait to hear more!

egan said...

It sounds like you're really enjoying the planning part of your wedding. That's a good thing. The cake looks awesome. You're full of great ideas. I hope your folks react well to the news.

Susan said...

Sounds like a great party! I absolutely LOVE the cake.

Hope all goes well with your parents!

utenzi said...

That sounds wonderful, Diane. Compared to the more traditional ceremony / reception, this sounds like a lot more fun for the two of you as well as your guests.

Are you thinking Cuba or Bahama Breeze? (or maybe some place I'm not aware of)