When Chico, Max and I arrived at Cairo International Airport, I spotted one of the most important, international; symbols—the sign for the women’s restroom.

“Hold on. I’ll be back in 30 seconds,” I said.

Max and Chico rolled their eyes, and I could almost see their collective thought: “Hadn’t she been to the bathroom enough during our 24-hour trip?”

Female traveling companions would have understood the necessity of this pit stop. A long voyage with little beauty sleep did little to enhance my appearance. And, in a post 9-11 era—one where you can’t carry vital toiletries on the airplane—the only hope to freshen up was a cool, wet paper towel and a couple breath mints.

As I looked in the bathroom mirror a thought hit me like a sucker punch to the gut: I was about to meet my new mother-in-law. A moment of panic ensued.

Two past marriages taught me that a woman not only weds her husband, she also marries a family. Circumstances had prevented me from meeting Max’s mother before the wedding, so I felt as though I had closed the deal sight unseen. And while I had every reason to believe my new M-I-L would be perfectly delightful, a tiny voice in my head reminded me there were no guarantees.

“Remember Cruella Devil,” it whispered.

Cruella was my nickname for M-I-L-1, a heinous and heartless woman who would have clubbed a puppy if it got in her way.

I shuddered at the thought of her. Surely Max’s mother would be nothing like her.

“There are no guarantees,” the little voice whispered.

This would be my third M-I-L meeting, but the first in which I couldn’t verbally communicate. “First impressions and body language would be critical,” I thought. “Smile a lot.”

I double and triple checked to make sure remnants of my airline dinner hadn’t gotten caught in my teeth. Then, I patted my face with a damp, paper towel. This was as good as it was going to get.

I stepped outside the restroom and saw Max jokingly tapping his toe and looking at his wrist watch.

“30 seconds, huh,” he laughed. And then as if he had known my fears all along, Max grabbed my hand.

“Come on,” he said softly. “It’s going to be fine.”

And with that the little voice in my head stopped. The time had finally come to meet my new mother-in-law.


egan said...

I love the picture of your new mother-in-law. This leads me to believe everything went well. Congrats and can't wait to hear more details about the trip.

Me said...

CUTENESS Alert you two!!!! I am sure she can't wait for the grandbabies!

Jamy said...

She loves you! Yay! Of course, there was no doubt in my mind.

kenju said...

You both look adorable, and it seems promising. Remember, you won't be living in her country - so that's always a good thing!

zerodoll said...


jayfish said...

yeah, she hates you...


utenzi said...

Assuming that's your MIL in the picture with you, Diane, you're getting along quite well. Of course if that's just some random person off the street...

Have a great time on your voyage down the Nile!

Just a trumpet player said...

Looks like everything went fine !! Yéééé !!

I wish you a magnificent trip !

AmyD said...

She's a doll! She looks like a good soul...I have no doubt you will both move beyond the communications barriers and become fast friends.

3rdtimesacharm( 3T ) said...

Looks like you got a gem, for a M-I-L Diane! Congratulations on all scores. I don't know if I congratulated you on your recent nuptials, so just-in-case; My best to the both of you!