3.05.2008

Happy feet

I have a spring in my step that will only burst forth into an outright happy dance as the weekend nears.

I’m headed home on Saturday.

That’s right. If all goes as planned, by 6pm and on good ol’ Eastern Standard Time, my plane will touch ground at RDU International airport--the start of a two-week sojourn with family and friends.

When I planned this trip before moving to Germany, I did so with my parents in mind. I reasoned my departure would be easier for them to swallow if I had a return ticket already in hand. But as it turns out, this trip provides a much-needed psychological boost for me. I need a break from my new and relatively easy life as a hausfrau. I crave a little excitement, a measure of independence, and my little black book to once again be filled with dates and appointments. I’m well on my way to accomplishing the latter as I work to squeeze in every last friend and loved one during the trip.

Max doesn’t join me until the second half of this trip, giving me some time to have a few martini-infused nights with the girls. I can’t wait for long, meaningful chats with the best friends a girl can have. I think I’ve missed them most of all.

My list of ‘must-dos’ only increases as the days tick down. I want to eat Mexican food, shop at stores that don’t close their doors until 10pm, and catch up on all the flicks I missed over the last three months. I can’t wait to hear and be heard, to understand and be understood without any extra effort at all.

I could continue to go on and on, but you already know what I’d write. Besides, I can hardly type these words. I’m bouncing my MacBook around like a baby on my knee out of the excitement of it all. I’m going home, people! Let the happy dance begin!

15 comments:

swenglishexpat said...

Have a good trip Mandy. All of us expats know how it feels. Enjoy!

running42k said...

Have a good trip.

Unknown said...

I'm very happy for you! Have a wonderful home leave!

AmyB said...

Oh yay!! I'm so glad you have a reprieve from the new and unknown life you find yourself living right now. It was no doubt be good for the soul. :o)

kenju said...

Hey! That's good news. RDU will be lucky to have you back for a while.

Sizzle said...

That's so exciting! I hope you have a fantastic time back in the states. Being away from girlfriends is really quite difficult. I agree.

Cheryl said...

Have a safe trip and an early welcome home to you!

The Guv'ner said...

OOOOH how exciting!!! This is like me when I return to the UK. I have two whole weeks ahead of me to see people and go to my old haunts yet suddenly ever second is filled with people I need to see and places I need to go and it always involves trains and planes and buses and cars and pubs and craziness and I come back to the US more tired than before I went. Hmmmm. :)

Have fun!!!!

utenzi said...

Welcome back to the Triangle, Diane. I hope your flight goes well and that you enjoy all that Raleigh has to offer during your stay. Are your parents going to come down to visit you while you're here, or are you going up to visit them?

jaded said...

This trip might provide a needed second wind. Have a good time catching up with family and friends.

meno said...

Oh do have much fun, and forget that reality awaits.

I said to forget that, remember?

Dan-E said...

it's gonna be great. i remember coming back home from prague after three months and once the humidity hit me in the face, it was awesome.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so jealous of you right now! I would KILL to go back home for a while, to Alabama. I bet you'll have lots of great stories to tell when you get back.

Unknown said...

Definitely a good idea to get back home. I had to wait 9 months before going back after moving and it nearly killed me at the time. It sounds like this will be a great way to kill off the Germany Blues and have a little fun.
Have a great trip!

gemma said...

Oh! Lovely! Write all about it and keep us informed.