3.27.2008

What I didn’t blog about this week

Dedication: For karey m.

You know I have to be a peep if I wake up at 6am to make this post just for you.



Sunday – I am an experienced traveler, but very nervous flier. So, you can imagine my dismay to learn that my return flight from Raleigh to Dulles was via a prop plane. Eeeeeek! Can someone tell me why these planes are still in use anymore?

To add insult to injury, Max flew home on a separate flight because his trip was technically for business and the company made his arrangements. Did I mention that while I was white-knuckled and cramped in coach, Max flew business class?

Monday – A snowy welcome from Deutschland. Max and I braved the weather to pick up poor Charlie, who really did seem to miss us. I know that some people say dogs don’t feel the way humans do, but my little guy surprises me with how emotional he gets when he sees either me or Max after a extended absence. I hate having to leave him again.

Tuesday – My return to life as a hausfrau. It’s amazing how dirty a house gets when you are not even home to make a mess. I cleaned for 4 hours, napped for 2, and made Max bring dinner to me on his way home from work. What a life!

Wednesday – I am not homesick. This fact surprises me because I really thought I would be. However, my life is here now. I accept this and look forward to making this time the happiest I can.

My landlord and his girlfriend, Ingrid, welcomed us back with dinner at her house. They are a lovely couple, and Ingrid’s three children are about the most social teenagers I have ever met. Even Charlie had a good time playing with Ingrid’s three little dogs. Because we knew the evening would include plenty of wine, Max and I rode to the event with our landlord and took a taxi home at the ripe hour of 1 a.m. I love the fact our driver didn’t even blink when Charlie jumped in the taxi with us.

Friday – Max and Mandy aren't here right now and won't return from their Italian holiday until April 5th. If you'd like to leave a message, please do so after the beep.

BBBEEEEPPPPP!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't count the number of times the kids and I slummed it in coach and hubby got a separate, direct, business class flight. I hate when he combines business and leisure trips. It's simply not fair.

running42k said...

Enjoy Italy.

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to see you when you were in the states...great to see you made it back and feel "at home"...have a fabulous time in Italy!

kenju said...

I am looking forward to hearing/seeing your experiences in Italy!

@JeanAnnVK said...

I love the design of your blog and just added you to my list of regulars...as well as your podcast...outstanding work!

Cheryl said...

Enjoy Italy. Can't wait to read about it!

Rositta said...

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time. One of the things I so liked about Germany was the fact that dogs were welcome just about anywhere. The cafes even had water bowls and snackies for them, great...ciao

The Grunt said...

Have fun in Italy. Eat lots of good food!

ms chica said...

Have a great time in Italy.

My cats sulk when I go grocery shopping, so just use your imagination about a one week absence..

Tenacious B said...

Tell me all about the wine when you get back

Lynda said...

Tuesday sounds like my life - cleaning and napping....
Ok so I am not cleaning... Glorious Gloria from Sudan is doing that ... and much better than I could anyway... you should see how disapproving she is when she notes I have been messing with her cleaning products...but I am very good at napping

utenzi said...

I hate flying in prop planes, esp near the wings. The vibration just sets my teeth on edge.

As for Charlie, I agree with you Diane. Dogs have the same feelings as us. Their limbic systems are wired in just the same as ours.

Junie B said...

diane send me email to give you access to my blog...

txmusicbug@yahoo.com

Chica said...

I completely relate about the flying, but glad to see it's not holding you back, especially with the list of destinations you have coming up!

Have a glorious time in Italy and looking forward to hearing everything xx

G in Berlin said...

Diane- you're tagged!
http://bigappletobigbear.blogspot.com/2008/04/whats-on-my-shelf.html

karey m. said...

oh...so i did tell you how much i adore this feature! come back soon!

i tend to miss my peeps when they go on vay-kay! xoxo. hope you're having a blast...

carmilevy said...

Prop-driven aircraft remain the planes of choice for short-haul routes from smaller centers into regional hubs. As long as the hub-and-spoke model dominates global aviation, there will be a need for the little planes I love to call puddlejumpers.

I agree with ya: they sure don't inspire confidence. My first experience on one - a Dehavilland Dash-8 - was landing at Toronto's Island Airport. It's on an island in Lake Ontario, right next to the downtown core. The right-side brakes failed with a huge bang as we touched down, and the plane slewed to a stop, just off the runway. There are no overruns there, and we were This Close to ending up in the water. Scary stuff.

Hope you're having a wonderful trip!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Italy! so amazing. Hope you have ana incredible time and I'm with you about nervous flying byt LOVING to travel, I just have to drink lots before getting on the plane ha.