5.07.2008

Blue skies smiling on me

April’s gloomy, rainy days have passed, making way for beautiful May weather. Until this week, I hadn’t seen a string of sunny, warm days since I’d left North Carolina. As the weather warms up, I feel rejuvenated. I also sense renewal from the local town, Bad Dürkheim.

There is indeed new life here. Once dormant fountains now spew forth cool waters. Cyclists of all ages have come out in full force, busying themselves by exploring the many paths along the wine street. Small tables covered with new and colorful plastic clothes now clutter the already narrow cobblestone streets. Everyone, it seems, prefers to be outdoors, and poor pedestrians (or those of us trying to walk our dogs without getting run over by bicyclists) are left to compete for real-estate alongside the patrons of the many wine bars, cafes, bistros, restaurants, and gelaterias.

It’s almost magical here.

It’s taken me five, long months to touch upon the real charm of this country. Buildings I once thought of as old and drab now look to have aged so much more gently against the blue skies and green ivy. Fresh, colorful flowers proudly adorn every weathered windowsill. Maybe it’s a side effect from all the asparagus being eaten, but people are smiling more these days. I smile more these days.

I didn’t realize how badly I needed spring until it finally arrived this week. And just to be sure my mind wasn’t playing tricks on me, I checked the forecast on Weather.com to confirm what I was experiencing. I’m happy to report it’s all blue skies from here.

18 comments:

Snooker said...

YEA!! SUMMER!!
I simply love it when the fountains start working again.
Do like the Germans GET OUTSIDE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE to enjoy the wonderful seasons here in Germany before it turns dank and gray again.

running42k said...

That was a beautifully written post.

Charlotte said...

Isn't it beautiful? I am so thrilled to be outdoors, and I love the other side of Germany that comes with the good weather - relaxed, pretty and happy.

Enjoy!

Lynda said...

That all looks so green and beautiful. The gray skies in Germany got me down my first winter - only time I have ever gone to a tanning salon was after 6 weeks of the same gray everyday.. just wanted a few minutes to pretend I was on a beach in Australia.

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

Isn't the weather gorgeous?! I spend most days outside now. Glad to hear a smile in your words :)

Unknown said...

It's nice to see you both with smiles on your faces. I'm smiling with you.

Unknown said...

The sky is indeed a wonderful blue - for the next week up here at least. It is so nice to have a legitimate excuse for not doing housework. It's just too sunny to trouble with dishes ;)

AmyB said...

YAY! It's akin to breaking out of jail, isn't it? I (heart) spring, which is why I chose it as the season to get married! :o)

Glad to see/hear you smiling!!

utenzi said...

Good weather can make a profound difference in our outlook on life. I'm glad you're feeling better, Diane. The past few weeks have been rough for you.

Dianne said...

the photos make me happy, smiles all around - beautiful

Junie B said...

Spring.

its what lets us know, just like the sun that comes up every day...that life, and all that goes with it, rejuvenates itself...its just the way God wanted it.

I wish we had Spring here in Houston. We have Summer, SUMMER and I dont know...something like a twist between Fall and um...Summer...

Cheryl said...

You've really highlighted everything I love about Spring. I'm soooo glad it's here for us both. Enjoy!

@JeanAnnVK said...

Diane,
Nurturing plants is one of the most rewarding things I do...It feels right to give of myself, my spirit, in this way...I can see how a bit of hard work and care creates a beautiful flower or food that comes to my table.

The best part is that it is not a huge emotional investment if one of your plants doesn't make it...we all understand that things happen in a plant's life that can lead to it crashing...

Bottom line, huge emotional benefit, minimal risk...what's not to love about that?

Again, thanks for your kind words...
Jean Ann

kenju said...

There's nothing like spring and beautiful weather to make life liveable! Glad it came to your part of the world.

Shelly said...

Love all the great pics! Glad to hear you're out enjoying yourself, a sunny day sometimes makes everything allright.

Chica said...

Wonderful! What a difference a bit of sunshine makes :)

Claire said...

Yay! It's gorgeous here today too - love it!

Cxx

ms chica said...

I feel the same about spring.