9.05.2008

What I didn't blog about this week

Wednesday - Because my cocker Charlie travels so well, I often bring him when I take guests on sightseeing trips. This week, he came along on a tour of Riquewir, a picturesque village in the Alsace region of France. In addition to its medieval wall and historic buildings, the town is also known for its fine wines. But apparently Charlie wasn’t so impressed. In a mortifying moment for me, Charlie proceeded to hike his leg up and pee on an outdoor wine store display with the owner standing right there to witness it. Yikes!

Thursday - I witnessed and helped a “travel bug” realize its dream-- to get to Switzerland. Travel bug? Yeah, I didn’t know what that was either until my guests from the U.S introduced me to geocaching, an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "travel bugs") anywhere in the world.

During their visit, my guests located this particular travel bug in a nearby vineyard. Originally placed somewhere in the midwest United Sates by an geocacher in 2002, the bug came with a mission: to make it to Switzerland. And since my geocaching friends and I had a little free time on our hands, we took the travel bug to Basel and placed it in a geoaching container, which was located on a water taxi along the Rhein. I enjoyed myself so much, I am considering taking up geocaching as a hobby.

11 comments:

Simple Answer said...

What did you do when Charlie did that? You pee on it, you bought it?

AmyB said...

Hahaha! I know it was embarrassing, but I think I love Charlie even more now than I did before. ;o)

I'm obsessed with the IDEA of geocaching. Too lazy to try it yet, but hopefully someday!

Unknown said...

I need to look into this geocaching.. sounds like fun!

kenju said...

Did Charlie get a spanking?

Maybe he was just giving his opinion of the wine.

swenglishexpat said...

Hi Diane - All I can say is 'Bad dog, bad dog!' That 'geocaching', is that somebody's clever way of having other people smuggling drugs or something? ;-)

meno said...

I guess Charlie is a wine critic!

Erin said...

Geocaches! That's awesome. You have to take it up as a hobby! I want to hear more about it.

Caffienated Cowgirl said...

We have been geocaching for several years and LOVE it! You must take it up...it's a great way to see new places.

Snooker said...

You go Charlie! We've been to that stinky little burg with their smug restaurants and high-falutin' wines... I think that he was just letting the owner know that his addition to the wine display could only help make it more tasteful.

Claire said...

Wow. Geocaching sounds super fun!

Cxx

Dianne said...

that's what they get for putting their wine out on the street!