10.10.2008

What I didn't blog about this week

Monday - 14 EUR cheddar cheese? @#$%! Yeah, that was my reaction, too. I finally found cheddar--a small package of sliced cheese- in my local grocery, but couldn't bring myself to purchase it because it was so expensive. I can't help but wonder what the cheese might be laced with to justify the cost. Oh well! Another week with grilled cheese sandwiches. How will I survive?

Tuesday - I did the unthinkable and checked my 401k this week. My account is down almost 30 percent since January. Egads! Max decided to look at his, and the percentages were the same. Needless to say, we downed a stiff drink after seeing the numbers. However, Max and I don't feel panicked. We have years before we reach retirement age and hope the markets will rebound before then. But we do feel worried for the retired and those nearing retirement. What will happen to those who counted on these funds?

Thursday - and another trip to the hairdresser. I think I've found a stylist that understands what I like in a hair cut. I discovered her last month and felt I looked better after I left the salon. This week, I also felt pleased with her work. But there is a problem--the salon features a head massage during the rinse cycle. I hate heaving my scalped rubbed! Just rinse me and get me back to the chair! Massaging my scalp has the same effect on me as someone rubbing his or her nails down a chalkboard. I'd like to explain this to my hairdresser, but don't have the language skills to do it. Would anyone like to help a girl out and suggest a translation?

16 comments:

amy turn sharp said...

holy hell- 14 for cheese! I could send ya some babe! :)

Just a trumpet player said...

I would try sign language...

G in Berlin said...

I'll ask the German when he gets home, but I would start with: Nein. Bitte. Ich mag das nicht, danke.

How about the friend at the base... cheddar can't cost that much at the PX! And you can freeze it (the cheese, I mean) with almost no degradation in texture. Btw, if you see any habanero flavored chips there, grab me a few large bags...

Unknown said...

LOL! Sign language! I love this response by Just a trumpet player above. Can imagine they might believe you are doing the Macarena while they begin to massage ;-)

True about the 401K. I was thinking about this while watching the last Presidential debate myself..

But the €14 cheddar cheese.. This is a sad discovery, Diane. I wonder, are you a fan of Velveeta? A suggestion for grilled cheese especially. I personally avoided it in the States, but a friend suggested it to me. She noticed at the supermarket in the States how it's not refrigerated.. I only used Velveeta to make Super Bowl nacho cheese/salsa mix dip.

Jack Steiner said...

I don't even want to look at my investments. Ouch.

ms chica said...

My husband was complaining about the cost of fresh mozzarella yesterday, this will give me leverage.

Anonymous said...

That's some pricey cheese! I love the cheese but must resist due to high cholesterol...oh well.
I LOVE the scalp massage part, I get bummed when I get the shampoo girl/boy that doesn't do that....darn now I wanta go get my hair cut and I've been trying to grow it out!

Treff said...

I am finally getting my hair cut next week after almost getting desperate enough to fly my former hairdresser out! It is so important to find someone you like but ever so time consuming...

I love the head massage though!

meno said...

I always ask my hairstylist to marry me after i get the head massage.

She always says no. :(

Anonymous said...

That's some pricey cheddar. If you have a base hookup, take full advantage. I doubt it will get much cheaper - most Germans I know don't care for cheddar, so the demand isn't there.

And good for you for finding a stylist that works for you. I've been here for 4.5 years and I still haven't found one that can handle my hair. To avoid the massage, try this: Ich brauche keine Massage, danke.

TamWill said...

We have lost quite a bit in our 401K as well. I think everyone is in the same boat. I feel for those up in age, very sad.

Dianne said...

My pension account is down about 25% and all the incoming projects I had on the books have been put on hold.

I easily could have no income before end of year

but hey I could borrow from my pension - oh wait ...

Unknown said...

Cheese - try Englisher Cheddar or Irish Cheddar. Both found at Hit and Edeka in the cheese counter, just say Cheddar and they know what you want. But yeah, egads it is expensive, we rarely walk out without 6€ worth.
It's not quite cheddar but as close as it comes here (not good for making homemade mac n cheese though, doesn't melt right for me taste, but sandwiches it works great)

Chica said...

You know all these visitors you keep having? Use them - make them bring cheddar! We always take a huge block over to France for our Irish neighbours, with some thick sliced English bread, they're so grateful even if we do feel a little odd taking cheese to France. Do it! x

Anonymous said...

When I lived in Brussels, I was excited to find cheddar cheese at the grocery store. Yay! Then I got home and opened it up and was greeted by a strong stench. Um, no, that wasn't "cheddar" cheese, it was some kind of stinky cheese that looked exactly like cheddar. I threw it away. Just couldn't get past the smell to even taste it!

Charlotte said...

Try Kaufland, Diana - they have some cheddar there and it definitely doesn't cost that much. Otherwise, I'll bring you some next time I come to visit.