5.27.2009

Love is in the air

When you think of famous, romantic cities, which ones come to mind?

Venice? Rome? Paris?

Based on my short time here, I am beginning to think Barcelona should be on the top of any 'Most Romantic Cities' list. Not that I would have much personal experience (because Max has traveled so frequently since I arrived), but it appears as though the inhabitants of this great city are in the mood for love--or at least sex. Everywhere I go I see people who can't seem to keep their hands (or any other body part for that matter) off each other.

I'm far from prudish, but still turned all shades of red when the woman standing next to me at the street corner felt impelled to perform some sort of tongue aerobics in the ear of her companion. Honestly, if this is not Olympic sport, it should be. And because this is a PG-rated blog, I'm prohibited from telling you what another man and woman were checking out as they stood in line at the supermarket. (Hint: It wasn't their groceries.) From taxi stands to automatic bank tellers--morning, noon, and night--public displays of affection are both daring and prominent.

I wish I could explain away this phenomenon. Perhaps it's the beautiful Spring-like weather of the Mediterranean? Maybe the southern European custom of leisurely, 2+ hour lunches give employees time for truly happy meals? Or, could it be Spanish wine producers are spiking the Rioja with some Funky Cold Medina? These are my working theories at the moment. The only thing I do know for sure is that I am very happy Charlie is neutered.

12 comments:

Global Librarian said...

The same tends to happen in Italian cities. An Italian friend explained to me that since most young people live at home until they get married (and sometimes they continue living with their parents after marriage), they have to become a lot more creative and take opportunities when they arise. Even in public.

So people are much more accustomed to seeing these displays at they seem normal.

Do they Spanish live with their parents until marriage as well?

Dan-E said...

i'm going with the funky cold medina, if for no other reason than the great 80's reference.

Unknown said...

Great blog entry, once again! :-)

And I'm laughing outloud at the funky cold medina-reference!

It could very well be the weather... Season? Or maybe it's the fact that a very attractive blonde gal is standing in the near vicinity & the partner must take the attention away from the blonde? Or the man must prove suddenly to his female companion that she is the one who has his attention? I'm only saying ;-)

kenju said...

'truly happy meals?' LOL I vote for that! We used to call it funch.
I do find all this odd in Catholic countries, though. I guess I'm old fashioned enough to think that some displays are just not good in public.

Unknown said...

PS: You know I mean that in my comment above with seriously the best intentions & as a compliment! You're definitely not an eye-sore :-)

Sonja Streuber, PMP(R), SSBB said...

Heh. Those hot-blooded Mediterraneans. Ah, how I'd love to visit!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the Italians are a little more comfortable and a little less uptight about their sexuality than us stodgy Americans are. And please, direct me to one of those "truly happy meals." I could use one. :)

meno said...

I sure hope you are carrying your camera with you everywhere. If not, please start doing so immediately.

MsTypo said...

I'm glad i never did anything like that in my youth. *innocent* Imagine suck public displays. How outrageous... *blush*

MaR said...

I haven't had that experience but then again I am not in the big city and I go grocery shopping early enough that I only get to see the SAHMs :)
Spaniards seek physical contact all the time, I had to get used to all the touching while merely conversing with people...

non said...

Spring is in the air even here in Dubai where public displays are verboten!

Chica said...

I am off to book a flight to Barcelona! Hehe x