7.22.2009

My inner salsera


I have a salsa lesson tonight--specifically a ladies-only, styling class, However, unlike my last, more traditional class, where a series of new turn patterns and footwork was taught, I am not looking forward to this session.

Ladies styling is a class that separates the men from the boys, or in this case, the women from the girls. It is the difference between someone who dances salsa and a bonafide salsera--the rare creature who turns even the most basic steps into art, interpreting the beat and rhythms using stylish arm and body movements that defy laws of nature.

Well, after only two classes the only thing my body is defying is the laws of how a 40-something woman ought to move. And it has become clear to me, every time I attempt to do a proper body roll and end up looking like Elaine from Seinfeld, that the only inner salsera I am going to find is in a jar with an Old El Paso label on it.

3 comments:

oreneta said...

OK, I didn't actually snort my tea out my nose when I read that, but it was a near thing, and I did have a minor choking fit. You have to WARN us before you write something that funny.

Good luck with the class Elaine.

We have so got to get together again in the fall.

kenju said...

It's a very good thing that mr. kenju didn't bring my coffee up here yet because it would be all over the keyboard!!

I have a feeling you are terrific at salsa dancing, and don't let yourself talk you out of it!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, how are you?

My name is Anil and I am contacting you for Open House Barcelona.

I was recently browsing your blog: http://www.martinisfortwo.com/and liked the information that you present. I am interested in placing a text link, what would be the price?

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Anil Mirchandani
Marketing Assistant

Marketing4@oh-holidays.com