9.25.2006

Something new

I am to meet with the editor of a small, monthly, city guide, which features news and events around downtown. He's looking for someone to cover local events; and I'm looking for a hobby.

Maybe this is the "something" I need to ease the boredom I've been feeling. The restlessness I described in a previous post isn't a reflection of the newfound domesticity in my life. Rather, it's an indication that I am not finding fulfillment in other aspects of my life apart from Max.

This opportunity presented itself. I picked up the paper this past weekend because it featured a cover story on pet-friendly, downtown businesses. Max and I love to take Charlie along with us on the town, but we've only found a couple establishments that accept pets.

As I thumbed through the pages, noting the new bars and restaurants opening, I saw something else--Help Wanted. I decided to e-mail the editor.

Dear Editor,

My 4-month-old Cocker Spaniel, Charlie, practically ripped the magazine off the rack when he noticed the "Downtown Dogs" cover featured in this month's edition. He's lived with me at my downtown condominium just over two months, and has often complained that there is "nothing to do." You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and you certainly can't dissuade a young one from his opinions. I've done my best to show Charlie some of what downtown has to offer, but this issue has continued to be a bone of contention between us.

Fortunately, [writer’s name]'s article caused Charlie to eat his words (actually [writer's name]’s words). Who knew there were so many places and services that cater to the posh pooch? Charlie and I plan to check out Seaboard Imports, Red Pin, and Oakwood Park Unleashed Dog Park this very weekend!

Before Charlie devoured his new favorite paper, I noticed that you were looking for people to cover area events. I'm interested in finding out more. How would I apply?

Diane Mandy


To my surprise, the editor telephoned to arrange a meeting after receiving my inquiry. Obviously, he knows that I am not a professional writer. I only promised him that I could dependably provide content so long as he provided a press pass. Strangely enough, the editor still seemed interested in my offer.

We'll see what transpires. At worst, I'll have one more story to blog about. And at best, Il obtain a free ticket to area events, along with a commitment that will keep me busier and bring some fulfillment.

Wish me luck!

11 comments:

jayfish said...

neat. sounds like it could be fun!

kenju said...

GOOD LUCK!! I'll be watching for you.

Åsa said...

That sounds like fun! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. It’s wonderful when it pays off to show some of yourself – isn’t it. Glad you know it’s not your relationship that causes you to be restless. No one can climb Mount Everest without a good base camp, and now you are probably ready to find your Mount Everest. Am I right?

Anonymous said...

Fingers crossed for you Diane! It sounds like an interesting and fun opportunity! Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Hope your Monday is a good one!

3T

David said...

I think your writing style sold him. You are a great writer!

Cheetarah1980 said...

Your letter was what sold him on you. Definitely a good read. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. You get to see the city for free, plus you get clips if you ever want to try writing for a bigger publication. I wish my life was as charmed as yours.

Unknown said...

Greetings,

I just saw your submission to Delightfulblogs and after visiting your blog I'm so excited to add it to the directory and hope lots and lots of our readers will discover it as well. I've just spent at least an hour digging around and am crazy about your posts. What a breath of fresh air!

best,
Lynda
delight.com
delighfulblogs.com

Anonymous said...

What a cute letter. Good luck!!

running42k said...

Good luck.

TamWill said...

Kudos Diane :) He obviously likes your writing syle, as the rest of us do!

utenzi said...

That is the best query letter I've ever read, Diane. Quite impressive to demonstrate so much ability in such a short space.