10.03.2007

Rubbish

I had to take a couple hours off from the office this morning because the man responsible for moving our furniture to Germany made a visit to “survey” the house.

Room by room and with clipboard close in hand, he toured our home, asking which of our worldly possessions would be shipped to Europe and which would go to purgatory (some nondescript storage unit in Washington DC). Max and I offered our best guesses as to designation. After all, we haven’t found an apartment yet, so it’s hard to say with any certainty whether my white tiger print chair with rustic chenille throw will make the final cut or not. It’s just too close to call.

After the mover’s visit, however, I couldn’t help buty feel my years spent gathering home décor had been diminished somehow. I tried not to take this personally. Still, piece-by-piece, the mover reduced my life’s collection to nothing more than a detailed inventory spreadsheet. It’s hard to describe how this felt. I can only liken the experience to divorce—similar to how a simple signature is supposed to erase (legally) years of pain, sweat, and tears.

Odd. Very odd.

I’m not sure if you can tell from my posts, but my stress level is pretty intense these days. If it could be likened to the National Threat Advisory, my level would be in the red zone. (And, like every other American citizen who hears about this ridiculous warning , I haven’t a clue as to what I can do to reduce the threat.)

Enough already!!

In other news…

*My BFF hasn’t delivered her first child yet, but we’re expecting baby girl any day now. I’m still planning to be in the delivery room. Wow!!!

*If all goes well, Max and I will travel to Washington DC on Friday to catch the Marc Anthony/Jennifer Lopez concert. I’m not a J-Lo fan, but I love her husband’s salsa music. In fact, we have front-row seats (at $150 a piece) for this concert. What can I say—it was a going away present to myself.

* Finally, I’d like to get your thoughts on the silliest song in music history. Here are my choices:

“Girl, You’ll be a Woman” by Neal Diamond
“MacArther Park” by Donna Summer
“Safety Dance” by Men Without Hats


Who would you choose?

9 comments:

utenzi said...

Silliest is a high bar to achieve. "Whip it" by Devo occurs to me but there's been much sillier ones. How about "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas"?

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas.
Only a hippopotamus will do.
Don't want a doll,
No dinky Tinker Toy.
I want a hippopotamus
To play with and enjoy.

I want a hippopotamus for Christmas.
I don't think Santa Claus will mind, do you?
He won't have to use
Our dirty chimney flue.
Just bring him through the front door,
That's the easy thing to do.

Diane Mandy said...

I guess I find the Neil Diamond and Donna Summer so song so silly because they are supposed to be serious songs. But how ridiculous! Is "Whip it" suppose to be service?

kenju said...

Purple People Eater?
Yellow Polka-dot Bikini?
Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

LZ Blogger said...

Diane ~ There are soooo many and so little time! Let me start w/ "The One-Eyed One-Horned Flying Purple People Eater" "and anything by that famous "Trio of Rodants"..."The Chipmunks"! ~ jb///

Anonymous said...

That Wang Chung song...or that Carma Cameleon song by Boy George. Not sure why I thought of those 2 right off the bat, but I did.

My stress level is beyond red, so I am right there with ya.

Dan-E said...

for some reason, "boogie shoes" by k.c. and the sunshine band popped into my head. every time i hear that sone at work i start bobbing my head.

Jayne said...

How about Poisoning Pigeons in The Park by Tom Leher?
Or Teenage Mutant Kung Fu Chickens by Ray Stevens(actually there's a list a mile long of Ray Steven's silly songs)
Or the classic Cows With guns?
Anything by Stan Freberg or Spike Jones is bound to give you the giggles.

But from your list,I'd choose Safety Dance.

jayfish said...

wait, no one is questioning your white tiger print chair??

sorry, i'd have to say that would go straight to storage.
:)

carmilevy said...

Men Without Hats, hands down. Because they're from my hometown of Montreal. Because they played a dance at my high school. Because I ALMOST got an interview with their lead singer when they released an album a couple of years back.

Classic synth pop....ahhhhhh....

I guess I really AM a child of the 80s.