2.21.2008

Social Butterflies

Thursday night brings yet another dinner party to the Mandy home. In fact, this evening’s event marks the first of the week, an easy, intimate affair with a Canadian couple, Max’s office mate and his wife. Next comes the Saturday party, a killer to prepare and host, with twelve people from all over the planet—Russia, Italy, Guatemala, France, Germany, America, Columbia, and Brazil.

Max believes socializing and networking will play a critical role in his future success. It seems here in Germany, even more than the United States, who you know is as important as what you know or even how well you perform. Max is already ogling his position after this contract is fulfilled, one in either southern Europe or South America. And as the dutiful wife and complement to my husband, I do what I can to contribute to his success. If this means cooking and cleaning for a rowdy group of strangers, then I do. If it means folding a dozen cloth napkins into tulips, than so be it. I can play the Martha Stewart of expats, the perfect wife of a future (hopefully) executive.

Of course before you think I go all out for every event, I can erase those impressions immediately. Today I feel lazy. And since the dinner tonight is only for four, I’m cheating by making one of the easiest dishes—chicken cacciatore—over spaghetti and in a crock pot no less.

Go ahead. Poke fun if you must. I can take it.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

No poking from me. God bless the person that invented the crock pot. I'm not sure how mothers all over America make it through a football season, hockey season, basketball season or baseball season without one. I certainly can't.

While I was unpacking our kitchen in India, I threw away the electrical cord for my crockpot thinking it was the cord for a deep fryer I no longer wanted. Oh, how I miss my crockpot days.

Sizzle said...

But...chicken cacciatore is DELISH! I bet it will wow them- it doesn't appear to look easy when you serve it.

G in Berlin said...

Wow danie, love that moving image! I've been reading your blog, shall say 'hi' over there sometime soon.
Diane- I so envy your social life. Today I met another ex-pat mom for coffee and I was thrilled to chat with someone for 2.5 hours- the longest I have spoken to anyone except the husband since I got here (broken German does not count). I think it's very cool that shmoozing/ corporate wife is your job: i would love it. It doeswn't exist for us because our secondment here will end and we will head back to NY, whereas you will go onward and upward!

AmyB said...

Sounds good to me! What's to poke fun at? Good luck and have a great time!

kenju said...

Why would I make fun? It sounds delicious! My son said he has never had a bad meal from a crock-pot! Good luck tonight.

running42k said...

Nothing wrong with a crock pot dish and it does take some prep. The key to any good dinner is not only the food, but the conversation as well.

Anonymous said...

Hanging out with people around the world is very enriching. Chicken Cachitore is very AMERICAN! :)

Dan-E said...

maybe it's just me but if i went to someone's place and they made chicken cachitore i'd be so happy, you have no idea. and i'm not saying that just because i like food. maybe a little

Anonymous said...

Chicken cacciatore sounds heavenly to me! I've no doubt your dinner guests will LOVE it Diane! :-)

3T
Stumblingthroughlifewithgrace

ms chica said...

I never poke fun when someone else prepares the food.

Simple can be so beautiful.

Cheryl said...

I'm of the "Less is more" school of thought anyway.

Emma-Kate Castricum said...

Chicken cacciatore in a crock pot sounds too tricky to me, I couldn't attemt it. I'm a 'lets eat out' kind of wife. Wicked I know but I just can't cook anything, I've tried but have now learned to cut my losses and admit kitchen defeat!

Love your blog,

Em

The Grunt said...

It's a good thing cooking for parties is not left up to me, unless it is grilling. I can do that.

Anonymous said...

Um, I've literally never turned my oven on (and I've lived in my apartment for a year & 1/2). You have my butt KICKED in the cooking department.

Jenn in Holland said...

I am just impressed that you can fold napkins into tulips... do share the knowledge.

Did you buy your crock pot in Germany? I miss crock pot cooking and there is no such a thing in the lowlands. Maybe I need to make a journey to Duitsland to shop!

Just a trumpet player said...

No poking fun at over here: I serve mash potatoes from a box to my guests. And my crockpot has become my new best friend.

And my guests seem to think I'm cooking goddess so...

But Tulip Napkins ? That, I've got to see.