7.02.2007

Plateaus

Six weeks ago, I joined LA Weight Loss’ 8-week body makeover program in the hopes of being ship shape—literally. Max and I cruise the Caribbean in just a couple weeks, and I want to be happy with all those post-vacation photographs we will view for years to come. Vanity is always my biggest motivator, and for this reason, I have followed the program to the letter. The results? Nine pounds, seven inches, and about one dress size with just under two weeks left. This isn’t a miracle makeover by any stretch of the imagination, but I suppose I shouldn’t be unhappy. Still, I do feel dissatisfied because I haven’t reached my goal and instead have hit an irritating plateau for the last two weeks. Grrrrr.

Any woman who has been in this position understands my plight. I’m surviving on a 1300-calorie diet, working out religiously, and turning down most social occasions that revolve around food. For all of this effort and self deprivation, I should be seeing consistent results. Anything less is unsatisfactory at best and completely demoralizing at worst.

I’m in such a bad mood right now, I can hardly stand myself. And please, please don’t tell me that thing could be worse, or that I should be happy with what I’ve achieved. And whatever you do, don’t comment about all the yummy food you’ll be eating this Fourth of July because I’ll probably be feasting on grilled carrot sticks and rice cakes. Bloggers, be warned. To violate these requests might mean that I leave the pink template for a very long time to come or worse.

Anybody else having a happy Monday?

9 comments:

Jamy said...

Just a thought, but 1,300 is probably too low. Your body is in starvation mode and is hanging on to all the weight it can. Why not try upping your diet by 100-200 calories for next week and keep up the high intensity exercise? Your body needs more fuel for the workouts you are giving it--and a few more calories may, perversely, spur some weight loss. Introduce the calories in the morning and post-workout and make sure they are healthy, but this may certainly help.

Unknown said...

Like Jamy... maybe you just need to teak it a bit... I would suggested to change your exercise a bit (if you are running, maybe trying a new routine - the body is a creature of habit and it gets comfortable with routines and just goes to sleep on you).. usually that is all it needs to quick start that loss... and remember you may not be loosing pounds... but in the meantime be loosing inches (believe it it has happen to me numerous time to count) and the other thing that I do.. I DO NOT under any circustances weight myself on a daily basis, it just drives me nuts... I would weight myself once a month during a diet.. that way you see bigger results instead of going crazy on those stupid plateaus.

utenzi said...

Pink is fine with me, Diane. But with two weeks left, anything could happen!

Mom said...

I agree that 1300 calories might be putting your metabolism into a tail spin. I had been getting too low too and when I put some more oomph into my diet with the equivalent of another meal (a veggie, a soy burger, an english muffin and water) things went better.

Hang in there!! I have read that after your body loses substantial body fat it takes it a while to readjust and get back to losing again.

kenju said...

My mom used to complain about the plateaus when dieting. It will change soon, if you persevere.

mal said...

my BMI is sitting at 26 right now...NOT GOOD...you have my sympathy and I will shut up about the rest!!

running42k said...

I think those are great results.

LZ Blogger said...

I saw your post on Kenju's blog and I thought I'd pop by and tell you that thing CAN'T be worse, or that you should NOT TO be happy with what I’ve achieved. And to make sure that I don’t comment about all the yummy food you’ll be eating this Fourth of July because I TOOwill probably be feasting on grilled carrot sticks and rice cakes. ~ jb///

Anonymous said...

My Monday sucked as well.

Hopefully our Tuesdays will be much better!

Hang in there my friend!!

Oh and if you take the advice and up the calories per day, might I suggest spending them on a martini? ;)